SEN 2305- 19 May 2017
- Category: Archive 2017
- Hits: 270
Table of Contents SEN 2305
- Upcoming on Oz
- In the Press - The RCGroups.com Update - Federal Appeals Court: The FAA's Registration Rule Violates Section 336
Upcoming on Oz
While not until 2018 the AFFS have announced date for next year. It is our understanding that these events will be just before the Australian Nationals that will be held at the West Wyalong site that is in the same of Australia and will include another World Cup Event. Dates to be confirmed by the FAI.
It’s never too soon to start planning a flying trip!
41st Australian Free Flight Society Championships
Tui Cup (NZ World Cup Event)
Monday 16 April F1A/B/C 5 x 1 hour rounds 0800 - 1300
Tuesday 17 April Flyoffs F1A/B/C 0700 - 0800
AFFS Combined % 3 flights no rounds 0800 – 1200
Widgiewa Cup (World Cup Event)
Wednesday 18 April AFFS Combined % Open Fly-off 0700 - 0710
F1A/B/C 5 x 1 hour rounds 0800 - 1300
Thursday 19 April F1A/B/C Fly-offs from Wednesday 0700 - 0800
AFFS F1G* 5 x 1 hour rounds* 0800 - 1300
AFFS F1H* 5 x 1 hour rounds* 0800 - 1300
AFFS F1J* 5 x 1 hour rounds* 0800 - 1300
Evening AFFS AGM (Narrandera Club) 1900
AFFS Championships (World Cup Event)
Friday 20 April F1A/B/C 5 x 1 hour rounds 0800 - 1300
Saturday 21 April F1A/B/C Fly-offs from Friday 0700 - 0800
AFFS Combined Vintage 3 flights no rounds* 0800 – 1200
AFFS Combined HLG/CLG/TLG 0800 - 1200
AFFS Scramble 0900 - 0930
Evening. Presentation Dinner 1800
Venue: Morundah Hotel Bus from Narrandera provided.
Sunday 22 April Moving Day to West Wyalong Nationals.
- Daylight saving NSW finishes 1 April 2018
- Sunrise 16 April 2018 0638 Sunset 1750
- Sunrise 21 April 2018 0642 Sunset 1744
- * Minis & % Combined Vintage will be 1st flight “High Time”
This program has been adopted by the AFFS committee as the best option for our 2018 event schedule. Due consideration was given to the following:
- NSWFFS request at our AGM for a compressed AFFS program prior to the Nationals.
- FFONZ request to again hold the TUI Cup at Narrandera.
- Name change of Dave Anderson Memorial to Widgiewa Cup to reflect the locality * (see footnote).
- Retention of the attraction for overseas competitors of 3 World Cup Rounds in one location.
- Minimising the travel requirements for interstate competitors. (Note: MAAA approval will be sought by AFFS to include all World Cup Event scores in the trial period for the 2019 World Championships).
- F1/ABC Event rounds will all be flown on the one day.
- Some AFFS Events e.g. Open Power, Open Rubber, Oz Diesel have been omitted for this year’s program only as they will be held within the NSWFFS Nationals the following week.
- Some local events e.g. Combined % Open, Combined HLG/CLG/TLG, Scramble, Combined Vintage have been retained within the program to maintain some events for non FAI flyers.
- The Event Schedule timing lies close to the optimal weather window (Temp & wind) for the year at Narrandera and is around the traditional period that AFFS would normally hold its events.
- Retention of our mandatory AGM meeting requirement.
- Retention of our World Famous Banquet at Morundah Pub !!
- The place name Widgiewa is derived from the local Aboriginal word meaning "What do you want?" (The Answer for AFFS is easy: Great Free Flight Competitions!!!)
In the Press - The RCGroups.com Update - Federal Appeals Court: The FAA's Registration Rule Violates Section 336
While the USA FAA ruling that all Radio Controlled aircraft over 250 grams has be registered did not directly affect Free Flight a ruling like this could eventually evolve into such a constraint. A Maryland lawyer John A Taylor was successful in getting the FAA’s registration rule over turned. Mr Taylor’s effort is to be commended. It described in detail on the RC Groups Web site – yes the direct link is rather long. But you can got to that web site directly too at www.RCGROUPS.com . Note that this site also has a Free Flight section .
The AMA does have an ongoing activity working in this area and itcanto be tracked through the AMA’s web site at www.modelaircraft.org.
With all the drone talk and talk about many small UAV commercial activities it is critical to maintain vigilance in the area so we can keep on flying